Today’s prompt is “flyer/ad.” We are to look at the latest flyer or ad we got in the mail of which I get plenty, but we drove to the mountains yesterday and all the mail is at home. No mailbox here, so no junk mail! Yay! Another option Linda gave us was an on-line ad. Hmmm. That will work, because I want to write about a movie I watched after seeing the trailer on line, probably on YouTube. The trailer for Harriet, intrigued me. It’s the story of Harriet Tubman and how she got to rescue so many slaves through the underground railroad.
The movie had me on the edge of my seat with the escape scenes. Would they make it? Or would they get caught and be beat to death? It had me in tears, too. The kind of tears that are like happy tears, but also being MOVED profoundly and some sad tears. I learned so much more about Harriet Tubman than I ever imagined beyond the little I got from history class.
She was a real life hero with a supernatural ability to see visions or warnings from God. That’s how the movie portrayed her gift of “spells” from brain damage when she had her skull “cracked” as a slave. Her spirituality awed me. I want to watch the movie again and take notes. Knowing more of her story, the trailer now gives me chills. Her courage took her into the realms of what was once thought impossible. I think she had an army of angels watching her, guiding her.
Go see this powerful movie!
For more streams of consciousness, visit Linda G. Hill at
Here are the rules:
1. Your post must be stream of consciousness writing, meaning no editing (typos can be fixed), and minimal planning on what you’re going to write.
2. Your post can be as long or as short as you want it to be. One sentence – one thousand words. Fact, fiction, poetry – it doesn’t matter. Just let the words carry you along until you’re ready to stop.
3. I will post the prompt here on my blog every Friday, along with a reminder for you to join in. The prompt will be one random thing, but it will not be a subject. For instance, I will not say “Write about dogs”; the prompt will be more like, “Make your first sentence a question,” “Begin with the word ‘The,’” or will simply be a single word to get you started.
4. Ping back! It’s important, so that I and other people can come and read your post! For example, in your post you can write “This post is part of SoCS:” and then copy and paste the URL found in your address bar at the top of this post into yours. Your link will show up in my comments for everyone to see. The most recent pingbacks will be found at the top. NOTE: Pingbacks only work from WordPress sites. If you’re self-hosted or are participating from another host, such as Blogger, please leave a link to your post in the comments below.
5. Read at least one other person’s blog who has linked back their post. Even better, read all of them! If you’re the first person to link back, you can check back later or go to the previous week by following my category, “Stream of Consciousness Saturday,” which you’ll find below the “Like” button on my post.
6. Copy and paste the rules (if you’d like to) in your post. The more people who join in, the more new bloggers you’ll meet and the bigger your community will get!
7. As a suggestion, tag your post “SoCS” and/or “#SoCS” for more exposure and more views.
8. Have fun!