I’m not good at learning to tie knots. It’s the same with most things mechanical.
I remember training to be an outdoor adventure ropes course leader. Along with climbing a 50 foot tower, and learning to belay a climber with ropes, we had to learn a few specific knots. A figure 8 on a bite, and a water knot are two I sort of remember. It was years ago.
The trainees stood in a half circle, around the trainer who demonstrated how to tie the knot. Everyone else seemed to pick it up quickly. But not me. I’ve learned that knot tying is one of those things I have to do over and over again, more times than the average person, to get it into my brain. You can show me over and over again, all for naught. I have to DO it myself over and over again to learn it.
I’ve accepted that learning knots and mechanical things are not my strengths. I do have other strengths, like singing, and art, and living within my means. We all have strengths and weaknesses.
But just because it’s hard for me to learn knots, doesn’t mean I can’t do it. I just have to work harder at some things. If its something I want to learn.
My first grade teacher said I had terrible hand writing. We were learning cursive, which, from what I’ve read, is not being taught anymore in school. That’s too bad, because cursive is so beautiful. Now, I have very good hand writing, when I want to. Is that because I practiced and practiced? Maybe. Maybe it just took time to develop this skill, because I wanted to, after I saw the beauty in it.
This week’s Stream of Consciousness Saturday was: “naught/knot/not.” Use one, use ‘em all… If you’d like to join in the fun, visit:
Here are the rules:
1. Your post must be stream of consciousness writing, meaning no editing, (typos can be fixed) and minimal planning on what you’re going to write.
2. Your post can be as long or as short as you want it to be. One sentence – one thousand words. Fact, fiction, poetry – it doesn’t matter. Just let the words carry you along until you’re ready to stop.
3. There will be a prompt every week. I will post the prompt here on my blog on Friday, along with a reminder for you to join in. The prompt will be one random thing, but it will not be a subject. For instance, I will not say “Write about dogs”; the prompt will be more like, “Make your first sentence a question,” or “Begin with the word ‘The’.”
4. Ping back! It’s important, so that I and other people can come and read your post! For example, in your post you can write “This post is part of SoCS:” and then copy and paste the URL found in your address bar at the top of this post into yours. Your link will show up in my comments, for everyone to see. The most recent pingbacks will be found at the top.
5. Read at least one other person’s blog who has linked back their post. Even better, read everyone’s! If you’re the first person to link back, you can check back later, or go to the previous week, by following my category, “Stream of Consciousness Saturday,” which you’ll find right below the “Like” button on my post.
6. Copy and paste the rules (if you’d like to) in your post. The more people who join in, the more new bloggers you’ll meet and the bigger your community will get!
7. Have fun!