Our prompt for Stream of Consciousness Saturday was “open book, point, write.”
Pick up the closest book to you when you sit down to write your post. Close your eyes, open the book, and place your finger on the page. Whatever word or phrase your finger lands on, write about it. Enjoy!”
Did I follow those instructions? Not exactly. To be honest, I picked up a few books and tried the pointing with my eyes closed. (That was earlier today – which was Friday since I’m writing this Friday night – almost Saturday.) I didn’t like any of the places my finger landed. Then, I went back to my original first thought when I read the prompt: Heidi.
I’ve been trying to figure out where to put all my books. How did I get all these books? Well, it’s taken over five decades. And books can be hard to get rid of, even if I’ve read them, or plan to read them, or started reading them – though if I didn’t finish, there must be a reason. Some of my books will go to the mountain house since that’s where I’ll see my grand children more, the children’s books will go there. Wait. I’m missing some books! I have a lot of children’s books that I haven’t seen lately! I LOVE children’s picture books. Maybe they’re still at my parent’s house which must be cleaned out by the closing on Monday. Whew, it’s taking a long time to get to that prompt.
I want to read Heidi to my granddaughter. It’s a perfect book for the mountains even if they are the old Appalachians instead of the Alps. The gentle Blue Ridge Mountains are ever so green right now. Get to the prompt! I know.
So I closed my eyes and pointed and this time, I liked the words. (A reminder to go with the first instinct or book.) “…lovely gifts….” That’s where my finger landed. Good thing it was on the left, because the right was a picture. Here’s the passage:
“When the doctor arrived, he brought us lovely gifts from the Sesemanns. He quickly understood why I love my mountains so. He learned that the mountains could heal body and soul. Before he left, he told me that he thought a visit would be good for Klara.”
And the mountains did heal Klara.
I know the ocean can heal too. Salt water and ionized air, the sound of the waves… all healing as much as the mountains. What lovely gifts we have on this planet Earth. Trees that give us oxygen, bird songs, flowers…. and the lovely gifts of love in all its forms.
Doctors and medicine can heal us. The doctor in Heidi was wise enough to understand that other things heal also. Modern medicine is miraculous in many ways, but it’s soooo expensive in my country. What else heals? That’s my question for you if you’d like to answer. What heals your body, mind, or spirit?
Here’s a clip from a 2017 Heidi movie that has a lot of mountain scenes. Clara had been in a wheelchair until the mountains made her well.
For more on the Stream of Consciousness Saturday, visit Linda Hill’s blog at:
Here are the rules:
1. Your post must be stream of consciousness writing, meaning no editing (typos can be fixed), and minimal planning on what you’re going to write.
2. Your post can be as long or as short as you want it to be. One sentence – one thousand words. Fact, fiction, poetry – it doesn’t matter. Just let the words carry you along until you’re ready to stop.
3. I will post the prompt here on my blog every Friday, along with a reminder for you to join in. The prompt will be one random thing, but it will not be a subject. For instance, I will not say “Write about dogs”; the prompt will be more like, “Make your first sentence a question,” “Begin with the word ‘The,’” or will simply be a single word to get you started.
4. Ping back! It’s important, so that I and other people can come and read your post! For example, in your post you can write “This post is part of SoCS:” and then copy and paste the URL found in your address bar at the top of this post into yours. Your link will show up in my comments for everyone to see. The most recent pingbacks will be found at the top. NOTE: Pingbacks only work from WordPress sites. If you’re self-hosted or are participating from another host, such as Blogger, please leave a link to your post in the comments below.
5. Read at least one other person’s blog who has linked back their post. Even better, read all of them! If you’re the first person to link back, you can check back later or go to the previous week by following my category, “Stream of Consciousness Saturday,” which you’ll find below the “Like” button on my post.
6. Copy and paste the rules (if you’d like to) in your post. The more people who join in, the more new bloggers you’ll meet and the bigger your community will get!
7. As a suggestion, tag your post “SoCS” and/or “#SoCS” for more exposure and more views.
8. Have fun!