Today’s Stream of Consciousness prompt is “ink.”
I signed my name in ink. There were these spaces open for Friday, Dec. 1 and Dec. 8, to cook dinner. For about 50 to 100 people, but more like 50, realistically, at the meeting we go to. I asked my husband after the meeting was over, and I saw the blank spaces for next week. He said, okay. So I signed us up for Dec. 1 with the plan to ask if people from our church will help like they did last year.
On the way home, my husband asked, “Do you know what date you signed up for?”
“Do you know what date that is?”
I thought for a second. Then I mentally hit my hand on my forehead. “Our anniversary!” How could I have forgotten? “Well, you could have said, no.”
“I didn’t realize it until just now.”
“Maybe God wants us to serve on our anniversary. Then we can go out to dinner Saturday night…. Are you mad?”
“No.” Or maybe he said, “Nah.”
I don’t think he’s mad. He will make spaghetti sauce Thursday night with meat. On Friday, I’ll make vegetarian sauce. I’ll take the sauce to the church where the meeting is and make the spaghetti at the church. Maybe garlic bread. Hopefully, I’ll get some help. My husband will join me when he gets off work. I don’t really regret signing up, though I might not have if I had remembered it was our 5 year anniversary. But maybe I would have. You can celebrate by serving. I must have been feeling energetic. And blessed. Wanting to give back. But there’s another, less generous reason too. I’m a vegetarian, and there has been little for me to eat at these meetings lately that does not contain meat. So, I’ll make a vegetarian sauce option.
Last time we did this, it was fun, but tiring. So I’m going to rest up Friday morning and take it easy in the early afternoon. Maybe we’ll go out for Frozen Yogurt afterward. Why did I capitalize Frozen Yogurt? I like the kind made with almond milk, and lots of nuts. And dark chocolate chips. Or maybe we’ll wait til Saturday night or Sunday, or a day when we go hiking. I miss hiking. And I need to go hiking with all the holiday eating coming up. Sigh. But I am thankful to have so many options for eating, serving, hiking…..
The Saturday Stream of Consciousness is brought to you by Linda G. Hill. You can follow more inky streams at:
Here are the SoCS rules:
1. Your post must be stream of consciousness writing, meaning no editing, (typos can be fixed) and minimal planning on what you’re going to write.
2. Your post can be as long or as short as you want it to be. One sentence – one thousand words. Fact, fiction, poetry – it doesn’t matter. Just let the words carry you along until you’re ready to stop.
3. There will be a prompt every week. I will post the prompt here on my blog on Friday, along with a reminder for you to join in. The prompt will be one random thing, but it will not be a subject. For instance, I will not say “Write about dogs”; the prompt will be more like, “Make your first sentence a question,” “Begin with the word ‘The’,” or simply a single word to get your started.
4. Ping back! It’s important, so that I and other people can come and read your post! For example, in your post you can write “This post is part of SoCS:” and then copy and paste the URL found in your address bar at the top of this post into yours. Your link will show up in my comments for everyone to see. The most recent pingbacks will be found at the top. NOTE: Pingbacks only work from WordPress sites. If you’re self-hosted or are participating from another host, such as Blogger, please leave a link to your post in the comments below.
5. Read at least one other person’s blog who has linked back their post. Even better, read everyone’s! If you’re the first person to link back, you can check back later, or go to the previous week, by following my category, “Stream of Consciousness Saturday,” which you’ll find right below the “Like” button on my post.
6. Copy and paste the rules (if you’d like to) in your post. The more people who join in, the more new bloggers you’ll meet and the bigger your community will get!
7. As a suggestion, tag your post “SoCS” and/or “#SoCS” for more exposure and more views.
8. Have fun!