Today’s SoCS prompt is “dream.”
Feed your dreams. The good ones. Not the nightmares. Don’t feed them.
I’ve been a dreamer for as long as I can remember. Sometimes too much so. But I’ve learned to put work into the dreams that are goals. One step at a time.
For this post, I’m using the word, dream, as it relates to goals, though the dreams we have when asleep can be interesting and meaningful, too.
I dreamed of a partner who would be a good fit, someone compatible. That was after the divorce and after the rebound from hell, after I got over my cynicism where I tried to not want a man because they could not be trusted.
My father could be trusted. Maybe I put him on a pedestal. He is partly responsible for me being a dreamer with his proclamation that, “Nothing is Impossible.”
So I imagined a compatible partner, made collages including him, and wrote lists of his characteristics. It worked! (except for the list item that said “if he snores it’s only a little so I don’t notice.” That one didn’t manifest, yet.) We don’t always get everything we want, but believing in our dreams helps. Plus we have to work on ourselves in the meantime We have to work on becoming ready for our dreams to come true. Becoming the best we can be without expecting perfection. Because perfection is a dirty word. Nobody’s perfect.
“Perfection is the enemy of progress.” — Winston Churchill
Baby steps are okay, because they add up. But we can’t just dream. We gotta take steps. So dream on and keep taking steps.
Dream on til your dream comes true.
Listen to these girls harmonize! I think they’re pretty amazing.
For more dreams and streams of consciousness, visit Linda at:
Here are the rules:
1. Your post must be stream of consciousness writing, meaning no editing (typos can be fixed), and minimal planning on what you’re going to write.
2. Your post can be as long or as short as you want it to be. One sentence – one thousand words. Fact, fiction, poetry – it doesn’t matter. Just let the words carry you along until you’re ready to stop.
3. I will post the prompt here on my blog every Friday, along with a reminder for you to join in. The prompt will be one random thing, but it will not be a subject. For instance, I will not say “Write about dogs”; the prompt will be more like, “Make your first sentence a question,” “Begin with the word ‘The,’” or will simply be a single word to get you started.
4. Ping back! It’s important, so that I and other people can come and read your post! For example, in your post you can write “This post is part of SoCS:” and then copy and paste the URL found in your address bar at the top of this post into yours. Your link will show up in my comments for everyone to see. The most recent pingbacks will be found at the top. NOTE: Pingbacks only work from WordPress sites. If you’re self-hosted or are participating from another host, such as Blogger, please leave a link to your post in the comments below.
5. Read at least one other person’s blog who has linked back their post. Even better, read all of them! If you’re the first person to link back, you can check back later or go to the previous week by following my category, “Stream of Consciousness Saturday,” which you’ll find below the “Like” button on my post.
6. Copy and paste the rules (if you’d like to) in your post. The more people who join in, the more new bloggers you’ll meet and the bigger your community will get!
7. As a suggestion, tag your post “SoCS” and/or “#SoCS” for more exposure and more views.
8. Have fun!
November 16, 2019 at 9:11 am
Very well put, JoAnna. Perfection is very often an enemy.
November 16, 2019 at 10:21 am
Thanks, Dan. Perfection can make a person crazy. Not me. 🙂
November 16, 2019 at 1:50 pm
Inspirational, JoAnna! It’s not enough to dream. As you say: “We have to work on becoming ready for our dreams to come true.” That’s where so many of us falter.
November 16, 2019 at 3:32 pm
Thanks, Rosaliene. I’ve learned there’s a balance (which sometimes escapes me) along the lines of waiting and action, acceptance and challenging.
November 16, 2019 at 2:50 pm
Excellent song choice!
November 16, 2019 at 3:33 pm
Thank you! I was delighted to stumble upon this one.
November 17, 2019 at 3:02 am
For a minute, I thought some cosmic force was at work, as three of the bloggers I follow had chosen this day to write about ‘dreams’, but then I realized why. 🤦
I like your perspective. If we go in search of perfection, we will always be disappointed and miss out on so much that is good, that is of value. The art of compromise …
November 17, 2019 at 10:27 pm
Right! Perfection leads to disappointment or craziness or both. There’s always a way to compromise and move closer to our hopes and dreams.
November 17, 2019 at 9:56 am
Oh, my, goodness….Your whole post gave me inspiration and goosebumps!! I love your take on life and the videos you find! xxxxxxxxxxx!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
November 17, 2019 at 10:34 pm
Yay for good goosebumps and inspiration! I’m so glad you liked it! 🙂 xxxxxxxxxxxx
November 18, 2019 at 9:07 am
Yes, I did! xxxxxxxx
November 17, 2019 at 12:02 pm
Ah! So incredible…talk about a dream! They have one and they are following it…and totally rocking it!! I enjoyed listening to their singing. And, as always, I enjoy your words…your thoughts…your heart and soul! Sweet Blessings to you, JoAnna. Hope this Sunday is one filled with love and peace ❤
November 18, 2019 at 12:59 pm
I’m so glad you enjoyed the song and the post. Thank you for the sweet blessings. Sunday was a good day. I hope your week goes well. Sending hugs, peace and love your way, Lorrie. ❤
November 25, 2019 at 6:56 pm
Inspiration is hard to come by. Dreams can make this more difficult:
November 25, 2019 at 10:25 pm
Yes, some can. Thanks for a different perspective.