Here’s the prompt:
Your Friday prompt for Stream of Consciousness Saturday is “silent/silence.” Use one or both in your post. Have fun!
Silent nights no more
Though more silent than before
When I was young and having fun
And life had just begun
Or so I thought (back in the 70s)
Back then, silence was not something I desired.
Loud music, dancing kept the fire
Going all night was not so strange
Sometimes on too far a range
Angels watching out for me
Shook their heads. I was so free.
Now, I like the silence more
If only I could find it
Instead the ringing in my ears
keeps me company day and night.
So songs of birds and music soft
Will soothe my ears and lift aloft
Like rustling in the tops of trees
My mind – unless I need to sneeze
So to forget the ringing ears
And settle for a serenade
of steady calling cicadas.
Sometimes I can’t tell the difference.
They sound the same.
Are there bugs in my ears?
No way! It’s just the years
Echoing like the sound of silence.
Okay well that song’s a downer ending. So let me tell you something I can’t keep silent about. The month of June is a convergence of change and adventure. Here’s what it’s looking like in the June schedule of events:
- Sell the house that was my parents’ (We have a closing date!)
- Buy a house in the mountains! (I never imagined that would happen but we have a closing date one week after the closing of my parent’s house closing – can I use the proceeds from the parents’ house toward the mountain house? I hope so!)
- My husband is “retiring” and moving into a new creative adventure with me.
- My son is getting married!
All this is happening in the month of June! It’s kinda surreal. Maybe my astrological friends can explain it. Maybe I’m dreaming. Maybe it’s a God thing, after all these years. Anyway, it won’t be very silent.
A few years ago, my son told me he didn’t think he’d ever find love again. But he has. There was a time when I thought I’d never get married again. I accepted that – just me and the dogs in my little house. God seemed silent. But God had a plan. The love of my life found me again when the time was perfect. Now, time (God) is working its magic again.
You never know what surprises await. Anything is possible!
For more on the SoCS, visit:
Here are the rules:
1. Your post must be stream of consciousness writing, meaning no editing (typos can be fixed), and minimal planning on what you’re going to write.
2. Your post can be as long or as short as you want it to be. One sentence – one thousand words. Fact, fiction, poetry – it doesn’t matter. Just let the words carry you along until you’re ready to stop.
3. I will post the prompt here on my blog every Friday, along with a reminder for you to join in. The prompt will be one random thing, but it will not be a subject. For instance, I will not say “Write about dogs”; the prompt will be more like, “Make your first sentence a question,” “Begin with the word ‘The,’” or will simply be a single word to get you started.
4. Ping back! It’s important, so that I and other people can come and read your post! For example, in your post you can write “This post is part of SoCS:” and then copy and paste the URL found in your address bar at the top of this post into yours. Your link will show up in my comments for everyone to see. The most recent pingbacks will be found at the top. NOTE: Pingbacks only work from WordPress sites. If you’re self-hosted or are participating from another host, such as Blogger, please leave a link to your post in the comments below.
5. Read at least one other person’s blog who has linked back their post. Even better, read all of them! If you’re the first person to link back, you can check back later or go to the previous week by following my category, “Stream of Consciousness Saturday,” which you’ll find below the “Like” button on my post.
6. Copy and paste the rules (if you’d like to) in your post. The more people who join in, the more new bloggers you’ll meet and the bigger your community will get!
7. As a suggestion, tag your post “SoCS” and/or “#SoCS” for more exposure and more views.
8. Have fun!