Let her be.
Let her be free.
Let her be better but only if she wants to be
However she wants to be.
Let her be herself.
Let her be a bee, buzzing around the backyard.
Let her be quiet watching the stillness of breath.
Let her breathe. Yes, breathe!
Let her be beautiful and brash.
Let her be whoever she wants to be.
Let her become who she was always meant to be.
Let her love who she wants to love.
Let her walk her own path with all the bumps and bruises
Let her become. Let her heal. Let her grow strong.
Let her be.
(This started out being about me, but then, I think it became about my daughter.)
Today’s Stream of Consciousness Saturday prompt was, “letter.”
For more Streams of Consciousness, visit Linda Hill at
Here are the rules:
1. Your post must be stream of consciousness writing, meaning no editing, (typos can be fixed) and minimal planning on what you’re going to write.
2. Your post can be as long or as short as you want it to be. One sentence – one thousand words. Fact, fiction, poetry – it doesn’t matter. Just let the words carry you along until you’re ready to stop.
3. There will be a prompt every week. I will post the prompt here on my blog on Friday, along with a reminder for you to join in. The prompt will be one random thing, but it will not be a subject. For instance, I will not say “Write about dogs”; the prompt will be more like, “Make your first sentence a question,” “Begin with the word ‘The’,” or simply a single word to get your started.
4. Ping back! It’s important, so that I and other people can come and read your post! For example, in your post you can write “This post is part of SoCS:” and then copy and paste the URL found in your address bar at the top of this post into yours. Your link will show up in my comments for everyone to see. The most recent pingbacks will be found at the top. NOTE: Pingbacks only work from WordPress sites. If you’re self-hosted or are participating from another host, such as Blogger, please leave a link to your post in the comments below.
5. Read at least one other person’s blog who has linked back their post. Even better, read everyone’s! If you’re the first person to link back, you can check back later, or go to the previous week, by following my category, “Stream of Consciousness Saturday,” which you’ll find right below the “Like” button on my post.
6. Copy and paste the rules (if you’d like to) in your post. The more people who join in, the more new bloggers you’ll meet and the bigger your community will get!
7. As a suggestion, tag your post “SoCS” and/or “#SoCS” for more exposure and more views.
8. Have fun!
May 5, 2018 at 9:12 am
Clever way of dealing with the prompt. And I love “The Beetles.”
May 5, 2018 at 10:35 am
Thanks, John. It is such a soothing song.
May 5, 2018 at 9:27 am
May 5, 2018 at 10:36 am
Buzzing in a good way….. 🙂
May 5, 2018 at 12:35 pm
May 5, 2018 at 9:57 am
This is relatable! Beautifully expressed 🙂
May 5, 2018 at 10:38 am
Thank you! I’m glad you liked it. 🙂
May 5, 2018 at 11:12 am
Just commented on another post that mentioned Sesame Street in today’s #SoCS! I love your creative spin on the word “letter”. I also adore Sesame Street. I’m going to watch the YouTube vid now.
May 5, 2018 at 9:27 pm
Thank you, Melissa. ❤ Sesame Street brings back fond memories. When my kids were little, I would watch it with them sometimes and get caught up in the stories, like when Maria and Luis fell in love and got married – but that was probably before your time. 😉
May 5, 2018 at 9:46 pm
I think I was already a tween when they got married! I’m not that young 🙃. Old school Sesame Street is the best. “Kermit the Frog here with another fast breaking news story…”
May 5, 2018 at 11:38 pm
May 5, 2018 at 11:37 am
Love your take on this prompt! Let Her!! :-)!!
May 5, 2018 at 2:49 pm
Thanks, Shelley. I had fun with it. 🙂
May 5, 2018 at 4:45 pm
A good wish for your daughter. 🙂
May 5, 2018 at 10:58 pm
May 5, 2018 at 5:18 pm
Hey JoAnna, Namaste 🙂
Both passion for and love of life flow freely through your words to leave a message therein for one and all I think. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
I couldn’t resist a lyrical comment:
Let her grow strong,
Let her sing her song,
Let her always simply be,
JoAnna the lady of letters,
Who puts character into poetry.
Hoping all is well. Namaste 🙂
May 5, 2018 at 11:00 pm
Lovely lyrics! I do like to sing. 🙂 Thank you so much for your sweet and creative words.
May 6, 2018 at 3:42 am
My pleasure JoAnna, thank you for spirited poem, one to gently stir our thoughts and lift our intentions higher.
Your poem is a song to be sung out loud: a mantra for daily-living 🙂
Enjoy your weekend. Take care of one and all.
Love and be Loved. Namaste 🙂
May 5, 2018 at 9:42 pm
I enjoyed this beautiful, berry bold celebration of B’s! I bet it kept you busy as a 🐝! 😉
May 5, 2018 at 11:21 pm
Thanks, Robin. I’m glad you liked it. I enjoyed writing it. 🙂
May 5, 2018 at 9:46 pm
Very interesting response to the prompt, JoAnna – nicely done!
May 5, 2018 at 11:27 pm
Thanks, Dan. It came to me after I said the word letter out loud a few times. 🙂
May 5, 2018 at 11:40 pm
Buzz, buzz, buzz!!! Love your B’s!!!! 🙂 ❤ xoxoxoxoxoxo
May 6, 2018 at 2:36 pm
Thanks, Natalie! So glad you had fun with the buzzing. 🙂 ❤
May 7, 2018 at 1:00 am
You’re most welcome! Buzzing is always fun❣️😘xoxo
May 7, 2018 at 5:42 pm
May 6, 2018 at 12:05 am
I’ve been singing this sesame street version for years!
On a completely opposite note, we just lost a local police officer in the line of duty. We had a candle light vigil for him a few days after, and the chief was full of angst as he addressed the mourning crowd. He described his thoughts after coming home from the incident…how he went for a run and cried and cried, asking for answers. He said the answer finally came to him, and he read aloud the lyrics to “Let it Be”. This song has become the healing anthem for the town of Yarmouth, Massachusetts….
May 6, 2018 at 2:39 pm
I’m so sorry for this loss to you, Jami, and your community. “Let it Be,” has always been a comfort in times when there was nothing we could do. Healing prayers are on the way. ❤ ❤ ❤
May 7, 2018 at 7:20 pm
I enjoyed it🌼🌸…
May 7, 2018 at 9:37 pm
Wonderful! Thanks for reading! 🙂
May 8, 2018 at 9:55 am
Good guide to parenting, if you ask me. Let them be, and be there to extend a hand or a hug when it’s needed. Love you his JoAnna!
May 10, 2018 at 10:14 pm
Thanks, Deborah. I’m learning.
May 18, 2018 at 1:11 pm
Every girl wanna be dependent…she have a right to live her life in her own way.
You’ve clearly explained it in your lines ma’am. I really loved it.
Excellent words ma’am.
May 18, 2018 at 11:36 pm
Thank you very much! I need to remember to respect her own way.