Our prompt for today’s Stream of Consciousness is:
“psst, or any other attention-getting noise or word.” Find a word or noise that you’d use to get someone’s attention, and start your post off with it. Enjoy!
“Hey, how ya doin’?”
“My mom used to say, ‘Hay is for horses.’ ”
“Here in the south, when someone says, hey, it means hello.”
“Where I come from, Hey, is meant to get your attention. It usually means someone’s mad at you. Like, “Hey, stop playing with fire!” or “Hey, buddy, watch where you’re going.”
“Well, that’s not much fun. How about, ‘Hey, you want to go for a ride?”
“We could go on a hay ride and make hay.”
“Doesn’t making hay mean….”
(Wait, let me check.)……..
“It’s about making hay when the sun is shining. It’s hard to make hay when it’s wet.”
“I thought it had something to do with making out.”
“No, I don’t think so.”
“Well, you brought it up.”
“Speaking of the sun shining, John F. Kennedy said, ‘The time to repair the roof is when the sun is shining.”
“You are so serious. But okay, that’s a good one. Hey, wait. You changed the subject.”
“And the sun is shining.”
“So let’s go, for the hay ride. But I’m not repairing any roofs.”
“Good. And we’re not making any hay, either.”
“Hey, don’t be so sure.”
“Well, anything is possible. It depends on the weather.”
“And whether you want to make hay.”
“You got that right.”
The Saturday Stream of Consciousness is brought to you by Linda, G. Hill.
You can find her and more streams of consciousness at:
Here are the SoCS rules:
1. Your post must be stream of consciousness writing, meaning no editing, (typos can be fixed) and minimal planning on what you’re going to write.
2. Your post can be as long or as short as you want it to be. One sentence – one thousand words. Fact, fiction, poetry – it doesn’t matter. Just let the words carry you along until you’re ready to stop.
3. There will be a prompt every week. I will post the prompt here on my blog on Friday, along with a reminder for you to join in. The prompt will be one random thing, but it will not be a subject. For instance, I will not say “Write about dogs”; the prompt will be more like, “Make your first sentence a question,” “Begin with the word ‘The’,” or simply a single word to get your started.
4. Ping back! It’s important, so that I and other people can come and read your post! For example, in your post you can write “This post is part of SoCS:” and then copy and paste the URL found in your address bar at the top of this post into yours. Your link will show up in my comments for everyone to see. The most recent pingbacks will be found at the top. NOTE: Pingbacks only work from WordPress sites. If you’re self-hosted or are participating from another host, such as Blogger, please leave a link to your post in the comments below.
5. Read at least one other person’s blog who has linked back their post. Even better, read everyone’s! If you’re the first person to link back, you can check back later, or go to the previous week, by following my category, “Stream of Consciousness Saturday,” which you’ll find right below the “Like” button on my post.
6. Copy and paste the rules (if you’d like to) in your post. The more people who join in, the more new bloggers you’ll meet and the bigger your community will get!
7. As a suggestion, tag your post “SoCS” and/or “#SoCS” for more exposure and more views.
8. Have fun!