Thank you to Barb for today’s Just Jot It January prompt: Mercy. I needed it and still do.
For most of the morning, I felt irritated. I’m not a judgmental person by nature, but I found myself judging, mostly to myself, about various things that are unimportant in the big picture. Maybe it was because I stayed up too late on the computer, again. Or maybe it was the remnants of hormonal fluctuations or eating too much sugar, too likely suspects who take turns getting the blame for moods that don’t seem to belong to me.
At church, the word “mercy” kept jumping out at me from the bulletin, the prayers, the sermon, and I knew “mercy” was today’s prompt. Mercy, Mercy, Me. Jesus knew I needed mercy and help being merciful. So I wasn’t surprised at all when I messed up while singing with the choir, because I wasn’t paying attention being busy with all this thinking about why was I so irritated. It was a minor mess up which will be soon forgotten. But it made me laugh at myself, again.
So here’s my peace offering. Maybe it’s not too late.
Have mercy for the birds and mercy for the bees,
Mercy for the whales and mercy for the trees,
Mercy for the animals who want to be free,
Mercy for my enemies and mercy for me.
Have mercy for this planet- a gift so rare,
Mercy for the hungry who need a share,
Mercy for the lost who just don’t care,
Mercy for the hope that helps us dare.
Have mercy for leaders old and gray,
Mercy for dreamers looking for a way,
Mercy for teachers without much pay,
Mercy for children who bring a new day.
Just Jot it January is hosted by Linda at:
Thanks to Shan Jeniah for filling in for Linda today.
The rules for Just Jot It January are as follows:
1. It’s never too late to join in! Here, we run on the honour system; the “jot it” part of JusJoJan means that anything you jot down, anywhere (it doesn’t have to be a post, it can even be a grocery list) counts as a “Jot.” If it makes it to your blog that day, great! If it waits a week to get from a sticky note to your screen, no problem!
2. The prompts will be posted every day at 2am my time (GMT -5). You don’t have to follow the prompt word, but this will be where you leave your link for others to see. Make sure you link your post to the correct day’s prompt. There will be a post like this every day except Wednesday, when the prompt is simply my One-Liner Wednesday, and Saturday, when you’ll find the prompt on my usual Friday Reminder post for Stream of Consciousness Saturday (SoCS).
3. As long as your blog is on WordPress, you’ll be able to link via pingback. To execute a pingback, just copy the URL from the daily prompt post, and paste it anywhere in your post. Check to make sure your link shows up where you want it to, and go back occasionally to see other bloggers’ entries – the more you visit others, the more they’ll visit you! If you’re participating from another blogging host, just drop a link into the comment section. Note: The newest pingbacks and comments will be at the top.
4. Tag your post JusJoJan and/or #JusJoJan.
5. Write anything! Any length will do! It can even be a photo or a drawing – you’re going to title it, right? There’s your jot!
6. The prompts are here both to remind you and to inspire you to write. However, you don’t have to use the prompt word of the day. You can link any kind of jot back here. Even your shopping list. Note: If it’s 18+ content, please say so in a comment with your link.
7. If you’d like to, use the JusJoJan badge (above) in your post so that others can find your post more easily.
8. Have fun!
If you’d like to look ahead to see the upcoming prompt words, click this link: https://lindaghill.com/2016/12/31/just-jot-it-january-2017-rules/ You can always write your post ahead of time and schedule it to come out on the appropriate day.