I don’t know if I like today’s prompt for Stream of Consciousness Saturday. I do like the way Leigh and our other prompters build up to announcing the prompt creating anticipation about what this weeks prompt will be. I sort of look forward to it all week and imagine a drum roll right before I read the prompt itself.
When played with the sound of the word, excuse, I remembered one of my favorite comedians: Steve Martin. So, I just had to look him up on YouTube. Watching the following video reminded me of why I had such a crush on him in the late seventies. This first clip doesn’t have a lot of the silliness and cuteness I love about this “wild and crazy guy,” but it does contain his famous “Excuse Me” line.
The banjo clip isn’t the funniest one, though it might be first in a series of clips of Steve saying “excuse me.” If there’s anything offensive in this video, well EXCUUUUSE ME!
Next time I make a tiny mistake or worry about someone judging me, I’ll use Steve Martin’s excuuuuuuse me line. But there’s a 99% chance I’ll really just say it in my head, not out loud, because I have this thing where I rarely show anger. Excuse me for being too nice for my own damn good. It will still make me feel better to think about Steve Martin.
Hey, I really like this prompt after all. Excuse me for saying I wasn’t so sure in the beginning. That’s the power of Stream of Consciousness.
If you’d like to join in the fun of SoC Saturday, check this out:
Here are the rules:
1. Your post must be stream of consciousness writing, meaning no editing, (typos can be fixed) and minimal planning on what you’re going to write.
2. Your post can be as long or as short as you want it to be. One sentence – one thousand words. Fact, fiction, poetry – it doesn’t matter. Just let the words carry you along until you’re ready to stop.
3. There will be a prompt every week. I will post the prompt here on my blog on Friday, along with a reminder for you to join in. The prompt will be one random thing, but it will not be a subject. For instance, I will not say “Write about dogs”; the prompt will be more like, “Make your first sentence a question,” or “Begin with the word ‘The’.”
4. Ping back! It’s important, so that I and other people can come and read your post! For example, in your post you can write “This post is part of SoCS:” and then copy and paste the URL found in your address bar at the top of this post into yours. Your link will show up in my comments, for everyone to see. The most recent pingbacks will be found at the top.
5. Read at least one other person’s blog who has linked back their post. Even better, read everyone’s! If you’re the first person to link back, you can check back later, or go to the previous week, by following my category, “Stream of Consciousness Saturday,” which you’ll find right below the “Like” button on my post.
6. Copy and paste the rules (if you’d like to) in your post. The more people who join in, the more new bloggers you’ll meet and the bigger your community will get!
7. Have fun!