This is my first Stream of Consciousness Saturday post inspired by http://lindaghill.com/2014/10/10/the-friday-reminder-and-prompt-for-socs-october-1114/ with the prompt that we write about what ever comes to our mind first about the letter S.
Snakes come to mind first, but I really want to write about swans. I’m not as afraid of snakes as I am swans, but I’m more afraid of water bugs than snakes. Whenever I see a snake it seems to be trying to get away from me. It’s more afraid of me than I am it it. Just like waterbugs. I stepped on a snake once in the woods. It was fat and grey and trying to get away. It did get away, unharmed I hope.
I have to remember I’m not supposed to edit. Just write what comes into my mind.
Yep, I’d rather write about swans. When I was in first grade we played with clay. I was really good at rolling the clay into a snake like shape with one end much wider and then fold it into a swan, pinching the other end for a beak. Everybody loved my swans. Yes, that’s a good memory.
My son used to have a pet snake. He fed it live mice. I don’t want to write about that though. I’d rather write and think about swans. Lovely peaceful swans, gliding along on top of the lake, mating for life, with their S shaped bodies. So I guess I’ll end with swans. Swans eating snakes. Stop! Don’t think about snakes! SWANS, SWANS, SWANS!
Hey, that was fun!
Here are the Rules for SoCS Saturday:
1. Your post must be stream of consciousness writing, meaning no editing, (typos can be fixed) and minimal planning on what you’re going to write.
2. Your post can be as long or as short as you want it to be. One sentence – one thousand words. Fact, fiction, poetry – it doesn’t matter. Just let the words carry you along until you’re ready to stop.
3. There will be a prompt every week. I will post the prompt here on my blog on Friday, along with a reminder for you to join in. The prompt will be one random thing, but it will not be a subject. For instance, I will not say “Write about dogs”; the prompt will be more like, “Make your first sentence a question,” or “Begin with the word ‘The’.”
4. Ping back! It’s important, so that I and other people can come and read your post! For example, in your post you can write “This post is part of SoCS:” and then copy and paste the URL found in your address bar at the top of this post into yours. Your link will show up in my comments, for everyone to see. The most recent pingbacks will be found at the top.
5. Read at least one other person’s blog who has linked back their post. Even better, read everyone’s! If you’re the first person to link back, you can check back later, or go to the previous week, by following my category, “Stream of Consciousness Saturday,” which you’ll find right below the “Like” button on my post.
6. Copy and paste the rules (if you’d like to) in your post. The more people who join in, the more new bloggers you’ll meet and the bigger your community will get!
7. Have fun!